If you have insurance currently, it will become super easy if you have your policy details in hand when looking for insurance quotes. Your current policy will have all the required information that you will need to get insurance quotes. In case you don’t have a copy of your insurance, below you will find information that is required to get cheap auto insurance quotes online.
1. Vehicle Information – Even if you only have the year, make and model of the car you can still get a quote but having your VIN or Vehicle Identification Number of your car will give a more accurate quote. If you are deciding on buying 1 of 2 cars, then fill the info of one car in your quote and then edit the information to switch cars and see the difference in quotes.
2. Personal Information – Some of the personal information required are:
* Date of birth
* Address (separate mailing address and living address should be mentioned, if any)
* Driver license number
* Marital status
* Student status
If you are not comfortable with sharing your information online, remember this: the first rule in keeping yourself safe is to never provide information unless you initiated it first. So if you are the one who is seeking for insurance quotes and feel comfortable with the website you are using then you can put aside your fear. Even though you are required to fill out all your information when looking for quotes, not providing certain kind of information and cause huge difference in quotes.
If you are feeling uneasy about a insurance company or you want to find out if there any complaint against the company then you can visit Better Business Bureau (http://www.bbb.org/) and get information. You can also search online to see if there are any negative feedback from other users regarding the insurance company you are planning to apply for. It is important to note that an online insurance application form will ask for the same details that an insurance agent will ask you – such simple information will let the company calculate insurance premiums.
Some people fear that they credit might hurt when their credit report is pulled for insurance quotes, but such credit pulling is deemed as “soft hit”, which doesn’t harm your credit. “Hard hits” on the other hand will hurt your credit you ask for extension on your credit like applying for credit cards, mortgages, etc. In case of soft hits, no matter how many times it is pulled it won’t hurt your credit.
3. Information about other drivers – If there are other drivers then information of such drivers should also be included in your policy. Even if they are not driving, you will have to list them as non-drivers. If they are listed as drivers then you will need to have their names, date of birth, driver license number, etc.
4. Driving history – This includes any minor or major tickets that you have received in the past few years like wrongful parking, failure to carry insurance, etc. This information should be provided for yourself and any other drivers that are listed. Even if you try to skip filling this information, your insurance will just pull your driving records.
5. Current Policy Information – You can enter your previous insurance policy details if it is available. If you don’t have any gaps or lapses in your payment then you could be eligible for some extra discount.
With the above information, you will now have several decisions to make:
Once all your information is filled out, you will be asked for the kind of coverage that you require. Here are some of the options:
1. Liability – This is compulsory and it defines the maximum amount that your insurer is ready to pay if you meet with an accident or damaged any property. Choose the maximum amount that you can afford.
2. Comprehensive and Collision – This is optional unless you have a loan on your car. However if you do not have a loan, if you skip this coverage, then you can’t claim for your vehicles damage and you have incur your losses in full. You will have to select deductibles, the amount you will have to pay if there is a claim.
3. Medical payments – This gives you and any of your passenger coverage if case you are injured in an accident regardless of the fault.
4. Additional Options – Rental coverage, roadside assistance, accidental forgiveness, etc are some of the options that you can use to customize your insurance policy. Individual insurers will have more information on what these options mean and how you can make use of them.
You are finally ready to make a decision once you have customized your insurance policy. Before giving out your credit card information, compare several quotes and go through the process as far as you can. In case your quote changes then you can review your information to check what caused the change or call up your insurance company to get an explanation. Once all things are set you can the purchase your insurance and secure yourself and your car.